World

Two Injured in Stabbing at Edmonton Gurdwara; Suspect Held After Prison Release

News Mania Desk/ Piyal Chatterjee/ 23rd August 2026

Two men were injured after a stabbing incident at a Sikh gurdwara in Edmonton, Canada, during morning prayers on Friday. Police arrested a 27-year-old man at the scene after members of the congregation intervened and restrained him. The suspect had reportedly been released from a federal correctional facility only a day before the attack.

The incident took place at the Nanaksar Gurdwara in northeast Edmonton at around 5 am. According to police, the suspect entered the religious premises and attempted to reach the prayer area while worshippers were gathered. Staff members confronted him, following which the situation escalated and two men were attacked. The injured men, aged 75 and 51, were taken to hospital for treatment. Police said their injuries were not life-threatening and both victims were in stable condition. The suspect was also taken into custody after witnesses managed to overpower him before officers arrived.

The Edmonton Police Service said it had initially received a report of a man walking in traffic along Highway 15 shortly before the gurdwara incident. Within minutes, emergency calls were received about a stabbing inside the temple. Officers subsequently reached the gurdwara and arrested the suspect.

Police said the accused was already known to authorities and had a significant history of violent offences dating back to 2015. Investigators also found that he had been released from a federal institution in Alberta on August 20, one day before the attack. He had been serving a sentence connected to offences including aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer. Following his release, the man was required to report to a designated halfway house in Edmonton but failed to do so, according to authorities. Police have not yet publicly identified him as formal charges remain pending.

Investigators from the Edmonton Police Service’s Investigative Response Team are leading the case, while the Hate Crimes Unit is assisting to determine whether the attack was motivated by anti-Sikh sentiment or another ideological motive. Authorities have not yet established a motive.

Police Chief Warren Driechel said the incident could have resulted in far more serious consequences and acknowledged the trauma caused to the victims and the wider Sikh community. He assured residents that police were treating the matter seriously and would examine all relevant provisions of the Canadian Criminal Code if evidence of a hate-motivated offence emerges.

The incident has drawn condemnation from Canadian leaders. Prime Minister Mark Carney described the attack as appalling and expressed solidarity with the injured and the Sikh community. Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also condemned the violence and said people should be able to feel safe in their communities and places of worship.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button